Monday, July 14, 2008

Austin: Day Six

Training started today. I got to the facility at 8:50 this morning. I parked behind the building which was the ground level. I headed for the elevator and an employee looking guy joined me to catch a lift. As I reached for the buttons I asked the guy if he knew which floor was ClearCube. He was really friendly and helpful and told me that ClearCube occupied couple of floors, but the first floor would be a good start. I thanked him and pressed 3 for him, and I got off the first floor.

I followed the signs to the training room on the first floor. I ended up in the kitchen and met Shannon who will be helping us set up our training facility at the corporate office in Virginia. She directed me to the room and told me that the coffee would be ready soon and that breakfast is available. But I had a bite before I left the hotel - Don joined me for breakfast. Our teacher for this week's class is a newbie. She called us her guinea pigs - LOL. We learned how to install the ClearCube Sentral management server, agent, and console. Class ended an hour early - at 3 pm.

When I got back to the hotel, Jackie and Berna just got out of the shower. Don had taken the girls out to play tennis - a hot day for tennis, but they survived.

For dinner, Don took as to The Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood. What a yummy dinning experience. The restaurant is about 27 miles from our hotel - it was worth the drive. They don't serve alcohol, but you are allowed to bring your own. We took our small cooler with us and filled it with Shiner beer we picked up from Whole Foods. We sat next to a group of four Filipinas from Houston. From my brief conversation with them, I found out that they came all the way here from Houston just for the BBQ at Salt Lick and to go shopping. One of the girls asked where we're from. And after I told them that we're from DC she asked (with astonishment) how we ended up at Salt Lick. Laughingly, I said, "The GPS". Another girl said to the other, "See, GPS!" Then, another girl recommended that we go to Ruby's BBQ, but she followed her statement with "but this place has better BBQ"- I laughed to myself because she recommended a place then immediately had put it down over Salt Lick. Don thought that they weren't very friendly - LOL

We all had the Combination of Meats platter. The platter had beef brisket, smoked sausage, and pork ribs with coleslaw and potatoes on the side. Jackie, our Ms Picky Eater, did not touch her plate. When she saw the food on her plate she immediately announced that she was very full, and that the bread and the meats should be taken home. Jackie always wants her left over fries and chicken fingers taken home, but she never eats them - she is funny like that.

While we ate, Ms Picky Eater played on her DS. I was very full, but I had read that the Peach Cobbler is very good so I ordered one for me and Berna to share - oh so good, with vanilla ice cream on top!

My plate - Combination of Meats platter, yummy!


Jackie did not touch her plate, but we did take the meats home,
just as she requested
.

Delicious smoked sausage!


This is where they smoke the meats - you pass this on the way to the main dining hall.


I guess the BBQ really hit the spot - Don is now sleeping so soundly, it is not even bedtime yet :)

No comments: