Saturday, July 12, 2008

Austin: Day Four

Nothing too adventurous for the Fox family today. We enjoyed our breakfast at the hotel. Jackie had some boiled eggs and white bread; Berna and I enjoyed some scrambled eggs, french toast, and sausage, while Don stayed with his standard scrambled eggs and sausage. For lunch, we went to the Potbelly not too far from our hotel - I enjoyed my chicken salad sandwich. Then we did, as Don put it, the geeks pilgrimage at Fry's Electronics. I loved the place, it's like Disneyland to me, all the techie stuff! Why isn't there a Fry's in Virginia? Anyway, we went to Fry's to buy a wireless router so that we could have access to Internet through wireless. The hotel only provided a router with one cat5. We have three laptops and sharing one line is not very convenient. I tried using my phone as a modem but it's not good enough - it's way too slow for my taste. But today, that's been fixed. Ahh, finally, faster access to the Internet. The DLink G wireless router was only $24, but of course we had to pay the "Jackie tax" :) - she got a new Wii game - Catz 2.

After our field trip at Fry's we stopped at the bookstore next door. It was called the Half Price Bookstore. Don picked up a Tom Hillerman, Elmore Leonard, and Andrew Klavan novels. I got one by Robin Cook, while Jackie picked out couple of children's books herself. All were half the published/retail price.

We had dinner at the hotel. We grilled some burgers and hotdogs and had a little picnic by the poolside. Since Don's beer in the mini-keg had gone flat, we scooted over to Wholefoods nearby and picked up some Coronas. When we got back, Don suggested that we all go for a swim. We spent couple of hours at the pool - we brought our cooler and had a few drinks there. It was 9:15 p.m. when we got back to our room. It was a nice relaxing evening. Jackie enjoyed her time at the pool and so did I.

Tomorrow, we will try to find a real tennis court. The mini tennis court was fun, but Don and I would like to find a full court. There are a few public courts in the area and I hope there is one closeby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, the Foxes decided to join you in Austin afterall! The place is the bomb, Jeannie. I recalled a place in Congress bridge where you can view the bats. There also a lot hip places near the the UT Austin university where there's a lot of young pipol. Don't get a TATTOO you will regret.

FoxGirl said...

Yeah, naawa siguro si hubby LOL. I would get bored to be all alone here because I wouldn't go places by myself. My routine would be class then back to hotel.

I have seen and experienced enough of Austin, and I must say that I agree with you - "the place is the bomb". We might go check out the bats. I think I will pass on the tattoo thingy :)