Saturday, August 2, 2008

Girl's Night Out

It has become a tradition between me and my girlfriends (Beth, Mel, and whoever might be inclined to join us, but usually it's just the three of us) to celebrate birthdays over happy hour. Last night we celebrated Beth's birhtday! Glory Days in Lorton was the place of choosing as it's close to Mel's house. We have been meeting up in Lorton since Mel's recent battle with cancer. We want it to be convenient for her. I am happy to see her spirits up despite her illness. Last month she had a surgery, and few months before she completed her chemo and radiation therapies. I truly hope that her treatment works and the cancer never comes back. This Monday will be her first day back to work.

Anyway, as always, it was a very nice get together. It had been 3 months since we last saw each other. Beth and Mel had margaritas and I had the Glory Days cosmo. I found their margarita to be on the sweet side so I wanted something different. The cosmo was not that good - I had two servings (the last one I did order, it got included in the "another round before happy hour is over" order). So far, I have not found a really good drink at Glory Days, though the Pina Colada is pretty decent.

After being home for so many months Mel liked the idea of being at home with the kids. So, we discussed different business ideas for Mel. She wants to be able to stay home and at the same time continue to contributeto the family financially. I don't think we were able come up with an ultimate business idea for Mel, so we all decided that we should walk down to the grocery store and buy lottery tickets, and we did. We also ended up purchasing several children's DVDs - and we even got Beth to buy couple of cartoon DVD's even though she does not have kids. The power of "on sale". Hey, it was $1 per DVD... he he he.

We all bid each other goodbye and wished each other a wonderful weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's see -- we did come up with day care center, masseuse parlor and dog walking bidnesses. Didn't we, Jeannie? You know if we did win the lotto, Mel doesn't have to show up for work this week! Anyways, my old senile head forgot to give Jackie her b-day gift. Expect it in the mail this week...Sorry about that and the packaing too.

FoxGirl said...

Yep, those were great ideas too! Ummm, unfortunately not a single number from our ticket came up - LOL. We must be the unluckiest bunch!

Jackie received the present. Thank you so much, my ever so thoughtful kaibigan :) The cute Dora outfit was a perfect fit and looked really pretty on her.

Anonymous said...

I know I should've checked in sooner. Anyhow, glad to hear Mel is doing well. I wish I was able to join you guys. I think I was sick when Beth came back from Arizona. You're not unlucky, just keep buying those tickets, one of these days...one of these days.